Skip to main content

York

Last week, Matt and I got away for what we called a mid-week weekend. York has been on the “to see in England” list for a while now. We booked a hotel a couple months ago, and we could hardly sleep Tuesday night in excitement! York is an absolutely stunning city. It is old, but the newer parts are built right into the old parts. A wall runs through the city centre, and some buildings are actually built into the walls. We packed a ton of activities into two days, and I’ve been looking forward to sharing this post.

Wednesday morning, we woke up early (ugh) to catch a train. Our first stop was the National Railway Museum. The museum has a great presentation of the evolution of trains over time. There’s an example of the first train ever made as well as the Japanese bullet train. We were lucky because we got to see The Flying Scotsman (pictured below) which is famous for breaking speed records. It has been on world tours and still runs every so often for additional touring. The best part for me was The Warehouse which is rows upon rows of various train-related things that aren’t on display but are still there for us to view. It includes things like signs, maps, models, and seats.
 
 

After that, we went on a mini train to reach our next destination which was the Yorkshire Museum. This wasn’t free, and it wasn’t worth what we paid. It lays out the history of York and how it was developed over time. This knowledge did come in handy when we went to the York Minster. Outside the museum were some beautiful ruins which I chose to include here.

We wandered around and dropped our stuff off in our room before we went to York Minster. This was the best part of the day. Both the interior and exterior of the building are clearly stunning.


Part of the experience of the Minster is climbing up to the top. There are 275 spiral steps that get thinner, and it certainly feels like more than 275! However, the views from the top are breathtaking. We took it easy on our legs before we called it a night and enjoyed some chip (fries) from Drake’s Fish and Chips as an appetizer. Needless to say, we slept well!

Thursday morning, we started off by walking down the city walls as far as we could. Like I said, the old walls currently surround the city centre, but they were once a fortress.


We went to Clifford’s Tower which is the only surviving tower from a castle built by William the Conqueror. You could also walk up along the edge of the tower. The views are also beautiful from the top, and you could see remnants of fireplaces and living spaces within the tower.


Across the street is the Castle Museum which was the best stop of the trip. They had different rooms from different time periods. They also had a Victorian street set up inside with all the little shops. They even had the lights dim and brighten to simulate the times of day. We went into an old fashioned sweet shop and the guy in there told us about the history of Terry’s sweets. We also walked outside to look at the millhouse and sit on a bench by the river. The Castle Museum was the best attraction by far.

 
Afterwards, we walked around the Shambles which is a famous street in York. At the end, the buildings are about a metre apart at the top. We went into a sweet shop and got some old fashioned hard boiled candy that is probably going to last us for months!


For the rest of the day, we decided to give our weary legs a rest and went on a boat tour. We got to see some nice riverside homes and learn about the history of York and how the river was utilized.


All in all, this is my favourite trip so far. We stayed at Best Western Monkbar Hotel (not sponsored) which was less than five minutes to the city walls. It was on the pricier side, but it’s definitely worth it for the location; we could see the city walls from our room and vice versa! This trip was unforgettable. We managed to pack so much into two days, and I definitely suggest you do the same if you’re in York – including the exhausting climb up the Minster!

Have you ever been to York? 

-Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav